A VPN allows you to connect to any resources inside protected local networks from outside this network. Such services are usually used by corporations, universities, and other institutions. So their users can access their resources when they are off-campus or connected to a wireless network. There are numerous systems to provide such a VPN connection, and Purdue VPN is one of them.
The reason for using Purdue VPN
It should be noted that universities, like Purdue, use remote access technologies in line with VPNs. Its large providers of electronic content have the possibility of personalized remote access on their platforms. Purdue VPN is needed to get access to on-campus resources from being at home that are usually not available from outside the campus. Using this VPN, you have many benefits, for example, to print some material on any printer of your university and then pick it up. You also don’t need to be at home as you can use this provider at any time from around the globe.
Steps to get connected to Purdue VPN on MacOS
Your connection process will depend on the availability of administrator access on your PC. Contact your IT staff in your department to help you install Purdue VPN or just do it by yourself. If you don’t know how to get connected to Purdue VPN, follow these simple steps.
- You should install the Cisco AnyConnect client on a laptop of your university if it doesn’t have it.
- Find its icon and get connected to Self Service using your login and password.
- Choose ‘Cisco AnyConnect Client’ to install it on the ‘Featured’ screen.
- Сlick on its icon in LaunchPad or the App Folder.
- When the Cisco AnyConnect client launches, type the server name ‘webvpn.purdue.edu’ in the text filed and select Connect.
- Enter your login from your Purdue account and BoilerKey for the password in the window that appears.
- You will get connected to Purdue VPN due to its icon at the upper right corner of your screen.
How to disconnect
You can find the Cisco program in the menu of your MacBook on the upper-right side of your screen. If you want to disconnect from Purdue VPN, just do one of the following things:
- Click Disconnect on that menu, but the program will be still open.
- Click Quit Cisco AnyConnect, and the program will close.
Purdue VPN is supported through an online platform with all on-campus resources that students can get access to being off-campus and off-school hours. This program also protects their laptops from malicious code even when they are not connected to the corporate network.